To become a registered dietitian, students must have
- Completed a minimum of a bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND®) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Applied and successfully completed an ACEND®-accredited supervised practice program, such as Morrison Healthcare Dietetic Internship, which allows the intern to write the national examination to become a registered dietitian nutritionist.
- Passed a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). For more information regarding the examination, refer to CDR’s website at www.cdrnet.org.
Student applying to the Morrison Healthcare Dietetic Internship must have:
- A minimum of a Baccalaureate degree from an U.S. regionally accredited university or college or foreign equivalent as determined by a recognized credentialing agency.
- Verification statement from a ACEND-approved Didactic Program in Dietetics within 3 years of application (after Dec 2016). If Verification Statement is older than 3 years, intern must take a refresher course with a grade in Medical Nutrition Therapy (6 credits) and Advanced Nutrition (3 credits) or graduate level courses with similar information within 2 years of applying to internship.
- Relevant work and volunteer experience in food service or nutrition related field
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least one from an academic professional
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- DPD Required Coursework Information
Required Computer Skills:
- Basic computer skills
- Experience navigating the Internet and using Internet Browsers
- Basic knowledge of formatting using a word processor
- Web Netiquette– students must know the do’s and don’ts of online class communication